With genetic testing, I gave my parents the gift of divorce
- Published on Monday, 15 September 2014 10:54
An unexpected twist to DNA testing. Link to Vox article by "George Doe", a stem cell and reproductive biologist who had his own DNA tested, and then gave DNA kits to both his parents. His surprise - it seems 23andme found a close relative, closer than anyone had expected.
Thanks to Dick Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter.
Study Finds Ashkenazi Jews Descend From 350 Individuals
- Published on Sunday, 14 September 2014 09:11
A new study published in Nature Communications published in Nature Communications, says Ashkenazi Jews can trace their ancestry to a “bottleneck” of just 350 individuals dating back to between 600 and 800 years ago.
The multi-authored study included Shai Carmi, a computer science professor at Columbia University, and more than 20 medical researchers from Yale, Columbia, Yeshiva University’s Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Hebrew University of Jerusalem and other institutions.
Ireland - Websites of Interest for Irish Street Directories, Helping Aides and A National List of Teachers 1873-1874
- Published on Sunday, 14 September 2014 18:31
A website of historic Irish street directories and some historic maps of the country, also contains a townland database may be viewed. Access is free.
- Scotland - BBC Database on Scottish Men and Women Who Lost Their Lives During WWII
- European Union - Updates on EU - New Leaders and EU Chief Justice Criticizes Google on Right To Be Forgotten
- Bosnia - Digitalization of Bosnian Historical Archives
- Canada - Survey - Which Digitized Collections Should be Transcribed First?